2017 RAM 1500 vs. 2017 Ford F-150
Posted on April 3, 2020
At Caledon Chrysler, we understand that buying a pickup truck is a serious matter to most of our customers. A truck has to be tough, powerful, and resilient, weakness is not an option. We take a lot of pride in the quality of all the RAM 1500 truck we offer, but we also know that want to shop around for the best deal possible. That's why we thought it would be helpful to put Canada's longest lasting light-duty pickup, the 2017 RAM 1500, up against other trucks in the category. This time around we thought we'd match it up against the 2017 Ford F150.
2017 RAM 1500
Right out of the gate, we want to point out that the 2017 RAM 1500 is extremely versatile. It comes in an impressive 11 trim levels, Regular, Quad and Crew Cab, and 12 bold exterior colours. Powering this impressive truck are three powertrains including:
- 3.6 Pentastar V-6 DOHC, chain-driven 24 valve engine that produces 305 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 269 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,175 rpm.
- 3.0-liter ECODIESEL V-6 that combines tremendous performance (420 lb.-ft. of torque) along with fuel efficiency of up to 8.0 L/100 km highway.*
- 5.7-liter HEMI V-8, 16-valve, variable-cam timing engine that kicks out an impressive 395 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 410 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,950 rpm.
It's also important to note that the available 5.7L HEMI won the 2017 Canadian Truck King Challenge and it just happens to be the best-selling V8 engine in Canada.
To give you the ultimate in control and precision, the 2017 Ford F150 comes with either a six or eight-speed automatic transmissions and electronic shift-on-the-fly part-time four-wheel drive. You also get a smooth ride no matter the terrain thanks to the segment-exclusive multilink coil spring rear suspension and an available class-exclusive Active-Level Four-Corner Air Suspension system. Because it's a RAM truck, you can expect a ton of muscle including 10,640 pounds (4,826 kg) in towing power and 1,880 pounds (853 kg) in hauling power.
As far as comfort and technology, drivers will appreciate a number of the standard and available features such as:
- Active Air grille shutter, aero-shaped mirrors, parabolic front end, and sculpted fog lamps
- Centre armrest media hub
- ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
- Seven-inch full-colour customizable in-cluster display
- Uconnect Multimedia Centres
2017 Ford F-150
While the 2017 Ford F-150 is a perfectly acceptable truck it does have its limitations. The F-150 is only available in seven trim levels and most of these come standard with a 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 that produces 325 horsepower and 375 lb.-ft. of torque. The six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission helps you get up to a 10.9 L/100 km combined, which is less than the 2017 RAM 1500. Other available, and expensive features include SYNC systems and optional towing package that can get you around the towing capacity of the standard 2017 RAM 1500. In the end, it is the price that really limits the 2017 Ford F-150 because the top trim of the Ford F-150 is close to $20,000 more than the top 2017 RAM 1500 trim and it falls far short when it comes to standard features.
The number certainly speak for themselves in this comparison, however, the only way to discover which light-duty pickup truck works best for you is by taking them for a ride. Caledon Chrysler would be thrilled to schedule you a test-drive, so contact us today. We have full confidence that after you drive a 2017 RAM 1500, you won't want to stop.
* All vehicle mileage based on 2017 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary, depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.